Seeing blind!!
Thank you for viewing my blog!!
So, what is my blog about?? Imagine what it is like to go blind and be blind in a society that is always patting themselves on the back for all the technological achievements they have made. To be able to see for 38 years of your life, and then it happens, you go blind. How, you ask? In 1998, I was diagnosed with a rare disease known as Pigmentary Dispersion Syndrome. This disease is so rare that my blog post is telling me I am spelling the word wrong as I am writing. Everything, once we are born, produce pigment. In Pigmentary Dispersion Syndrome, our body produces pigment too fast for our body to dispense of it through a normal drainage system behind our eyes. When this happens, it causes your eye to build up pressure, therefore causing glaucoma. This is known as Pigmentary Glaucoma.
After pursuing doctor after doctor, in 2002, I started having more difficulty seeing. My doctors told me the pressures were above average in my left eye, but did not constitute the problems I was having with my vision. Those problems were "unique". For those with vision, take a ruler and hold it out in front of you. You see two even edges, both top and bottom. I did not see that. I saw two even edges for a few inches, then the ruler bowed out with my left eye and in with my right, to almost form a perfect circle in the center. My doctors thought it was a retina problem. Well, almost $70,000 later from a visit with a retina specialists and spending all day at the hospital having tests after test run, the doctor I went to see asked me "Why are you here?". Oh, that was so disturbing. I continued to have these problems for several years until I finally lost my battle with my left eye in 2007.
Now, both eyes are gone. But, this blog isn't only about the blind. This blog is about us helping each other everyday. I say that because, since I have gone blind, I have noticed, no one wants to help anyone anymore without some sort of compensation for it. So, from this day forward, I am making it a point to try and help anyone and everyone I can, since my doctors have now found more wrong with me than can be repaired. So, check back and see what happens next and while you are at it leave me a post about your problem or how you helped someone out today. Thanks!!!
So, what is my blog about?? Imagine what it is like to go blind and be blind in a society that is always patting themselves on the back for all the technological achievements they have made. To be able to see for 38 years of your life, and then it happens, you go blind. How, you ask? In 1998, I was diagnosed with a rare disease known as Pigmentary Dispersion Syndrome. This disease is so rare that my blog post is telling me I am spelling the word wrong as I am writing. Everything, once we are born, produce pigment. In Pigmentary Dispersion Syndrome, our body produces pigment too fast for our body to dispense of it through a normal drainage system behind our eyes. When this happens, it causes your eye to build up pressure, therefore causing glaucoma. This is known as Pigmentary Glaucoma.
After pursuing doctor after doctor, in 2002, I started having more difficulty seeing. My doctors told me the pressures were above average in my left eye, but did not constitute the problems I was having with my vision. Those problems were "unique". For those with vision, take a ruler and hold it out in front of you. You see two even edges, both top and bottom. I did not see that. I saw two even edges for a few inches, then the ruler bowed out with my left eye and in with my right, to almost form a perfect circle in the center. My doctors thought it was a retina problem. Well, almost $70,000 later from a visit with a retina specialists and spending all day at the hospital having tests after test run, the doctor I went to see asked me "Why are you here?". Oh, that was so disturbing. I continued to have these problems for several years until I finally lost my battle with my left eye in 2007.
Now, both eyes are gone. But, this blog isn't only about the blind. This blog is about us helping each other everyday. I say that because, since I have gone blind, I have noticed, no one wants to help anyone anymore without some sort of compensation for it. So, from this day forward, I am making it a point to try and help anyone and everyone I can, since my doctors have now found more wrong with me than can be repaired. So, check back and see what happens next and while you are at it leave me a post about your problem or how you helped someone out today. Thanks!!!
Comments
Post a Comment