Thank you to those for viewing my post!
Now to the nuts and bolts. Being blind makes you realize many things. We all know how vulnerable we are as "human beings". For many of us, that terrifies us more than anything we can imagine. That being said, we build our own defenses. We quickly forget, though, that we are human beings. Our race has become so "dehumanized" in so many ways for many of us. There is little to no compassion left in many societies. When you lose your sight, you lose the "image" of whomever may be standing in front of you. You then have to base any judgement of that person on other factors. What would these other factors be? Sound of their voice? Well, that is part of it. We can also break that down even further though. What about the sound of their voice? Is there sincerity in it, is there compassion in it, is there understanding and forgiveness in it? Wait, what was that last part? Forgiveness? What is that? For many of us, we have lost the ability to forgive. My pain is greater than yours, so, therefore, you must be punished for my pain. That is how too many of us think these days. I can "feel" it in many people's voices.
Just like when I go to these uncaring "care professionals". Some of you call them "doctors". I call them the worst kind of dehumanized humans. Triage? Really? If you were truly a compassionate person, you would not "classify" the people you treat. We have truly become robots when we overlook what makes us human to start with. The ability to forgive, and to love one another. I recently visited a neurologist to have some tests run. I have only been blind for three years. I still do not have the whole "mobility" issue down. The tests took longer than she expected for reasons unbeknownst to me and I did not get to complete all the tests she had scheduled. When she released me, she literally walked out her front office door. She said "we will have to reschedule the rest of the test for later and locked the door behind me. I was on the fourth floor of a building I was completely unfamiliar with. She didn't even ask if I needed help getting to the elevator.
There I was, standing in a hallway with not a clue as to which direction to go. Thankfully, 1 in 10000 people are still caring. Someone finally asked me, as I was stumbling my way down the hall, if I needed assistance. When you are blind, all inhibitions are lost. You lose all sense of pride or any other of those debilitating factors that cause so many problems in today's society. I said yes and she graciously walked me to the elevator. Think about this and we will continue tomorrow.
Now to the nuts and bolts. Being blind makes you realize many things. We all know how vulnerable we are as "human beings". For many of us, that terrifies us more than anything we can imagine. That being said, we build our own defenses. We quickly forget, though, that we are human beings. Our race has become so "dehumanized" in so many ways for many of us. There is little to no compassion left in many societies. When you lose your sight, you lose the "image" of whomever may be standing in front of you. You then have to base any judgement of that person on other factors. What would these other factors be? Sound of their voice? Well, that is part of it. We can also break that down even further though. What about the sound of their voice? Is there sincerity in it, is there compassion in it, is there understanding and forgiveness in it? Wait, what was that last part? Forgiveness? What is that? For many of us, we have lost the ability to forgive. My pain is greater than yours, so, therefore, you must be punished for my pain. That is how too many of us think these days. I can "feel" it in many people's voices.
Just like when I go to these uncaring "care professionals". Some of you call them "doctors". I call them the worst kind of dehumanized humans. Triage? Really? If you were truly a compassionate person, you would not "classify" the people you treat. We have truly become robots when we overlook what makes us human to start with. The ability to forgive, and to love one another. I recently visited a neurologist to have some tests run. I have only been blind for three years. I still do not have the whole "mobility" issue down. The tests took longer than she expected for reasons unbeknownst to me and I did not get to complete all the tests she had scheduled. When she released me, she literally walked out her front office door. She said "we will have to reschedule the rest of the test for later and locked the door behind me. I was on the fourth floor of a building I was completely unfamiliar with. She didn't even ask if I needed help getting to the elevator.
There I was, standing in a hallway with not a clue as to which direction to go. Thankfully, 1 in 10000 people are still caring. Someone finally asked me, as I was stumbling my way down the hall, if I needed assistance. When you are blind, all inhibitions are lost. You lose all sense of pride or any other of those debilitating factors that cause so many problems in today's society. I said yes and she graciously walked me to the elevator. Think about this and we will continue tomorrow.
Comments
Post a Comment